Waterproof covers are advertised as being able to completely block moisture from passing through the material and getting on what it is covering. They’re typically made of a plastic film or a plastic-coated fabric. The problem with this type of cover is that condensation and dew can still form beneath the cover. This results in mold or mildew forming on your furniture’s cushions and pillows and water stains or rust on the finish.
Be wary of any covers that are advertised as “waterproof” rather than “water-resistant”. Waterproof covers are usually cheaply made and may end up damaging what they are meant to protect.
Do Waterproof Covers Exist?
We may not be official Myth Busters, but we were able to solve this mystery – waterproof covers are a myth. Covers that claim to be waterproof will not allow the moisture to evaporate, since the moisture isn’t supposed to be there. Breathable and water-resistant covers block most of the moisture but allows for any that gets through to evaporate quickly.
Breathable and water-resistant covers are the way to go. Water-resistant covers repel most water, but still allow for air to circulate. Unlike waterproof covers, this allows moisture in the cover to evaporate quickly. Quick evaporation provides the following advantages:
- Prevents paint damage and rust
- Prevents mildew and mold resistant
- Prevents water stains on furniture’s finish
How can WeatherMAX be both HIGHLY BREATHABLE and HIGHLY WATER RESISTANT?
WeatherMAX allows the moisture vapor under the fabric to breathe out while its unique construction and HydroMax+ finish keeps solid water from penetrating the fabric.
- 100% Solution-dyed SaturaMax Ultra-High UV polyester fibers
- HydroMax durable water repellency finish
- UV Resistance rated 1,500 hours AATCC 169 option 1
- Manufactured in the USA
- 100% recyclable
- Manufactured to ISO 14001 - no harmful chemicals are released and all waste is recycled
- Solution-dyed yarn saves 15 gallons of water per yard of fabric vs dyed
- Made in the USA – reduced carbon footprint by eliminating long-distance sea or airfreight.
- Polymer to finished fabric is made within a 100-mile radius
- Long Life-Span – the #1 key to reducing waste
All versions of WeatherMAX 80 have Color-Tite Technology
- 10-year minimum color retention (except for True Red and Scarlet)
- No color bleeding or transferring
- Bleach Cleanable